Indian Environment Network

Paryavaran.com-Gateway to Indian Environment Market

Hello,

I am a student trainee with the French Institute of Pondicherry. I am doing a project on "Analysis of low cost effective reforestation techniques" -  in specific stuyding seedballs v/s seed throwing v/s normal plantation; to compare and document its efficiency. I havent been successful in the implementation of the seedball technique and in this reference was interested in knowing if any of you are aware of restoration efforts using seedball in the country? how efficient it is in comparison? Are you able to note how effective the technique is in terms of growth and are you able to differentiate the plants coming from seedballs from the others on the field?

My project period was very short and we managed to miss most of the rainy duration. I wish to redesign the project  and am trying to get in touch with people all over the world and the country who have experience in working with seedballs. In this reference I have also, been seeking research papers unsuccessfully. I have largely found grey literature and seed pelleting applications in agricultural context. I would like to know if anyone over here has experience/ knowledge about seedball application and is aware of any published research on the same or if anyone could please suggest me someone who I can contact for this. It will be of great help.

Nita Shashidharan

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear  Nita Shashidharan,

The Seedball technique, seems new to me. But Brick Planting Technique has been tried in past ( Many years ago) and was found to be very effective in shifting sand areas in east coasts. The plants are grown in Soil Bricks (Soil mixed with farm yard manure) in containers in the nursery and then planted in the field after they have attained certain hight. Off course containers removed before planting. It worked because Soil Bricks hold moisture for longer time. This was used to creat shelter belts to check unstable sand dunes from shifting. The Seedball technique, as the name suggests might be tried in some what stable and comparatively moist soils. Kindly let me know more about this technique. Regards.

Hi, Thank you for replying.This should give you more details about the technique. http://sites.google.com/site/onseedballs/

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Paryavaran.com -online webportal to network and do business and philanthropy with Indian Environment Organizations and Professionals

Notes

Network of Indian Environment Professionals LLC

Created by Chandra Kishore Feb 5, 2010 at 3:22pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Jan 20, 2020.

Notes Home

Created by Chandra Kishore Oct 5, 2009 at 3:19pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Apr 29, 2011.

© 2024   Created by Chandra Kishore.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service