Indian Environment Network

Paryavaran.com-Gateway to Indian Environment Market

We need paper. More we advance need for paper increases. More we consume paper more trees vanishes, more bamboo groves vanishes, forest areas reduced and more pollution of air and water. What mus we do? Shall we slow down development? Not possible. What is the material from which paper is made? All cellulose from different sources. We get this from many sources. Quantum of cellulose we throw away may be more than enough to meet our paper need. If we adopt simple technology of Handmade Paper it will cause more pollution and ensure more employment. The paper thus produced are more durable and stronger too. The raw material may be agricultural cellulosic waste, waste paper, waste from jute and textile mills and grasses of various kind. Eve used paper can be recirculated. It is estimated if collected tickets fro major Railway Stations can be recirculated Railway need not buy paper and in addition can make profit y selling paper. India is one of major exporter of Handmade Paper. Sangener village of Rajasthan is known for Handmade paper, produced by Kagzi community and entire production is exported. They were producing paper since Moghul era. There are many Kagzi cluster like Junner in Maharashtra, Dasghara and Moinan of West Bengal etc. Gandhiji preferred this product and started model unit in Wardha. In Tawang district of Arunachal Pradesh Handmade paper is being produced by Monpa tribe since several centuries. After independence Khad & Village Industries Commission took up this program. Research input was given and standard machineries were made. Later UNDP helped KVIC to develop clusters besides research and training facilities. In fact due it advantage Handmade paper is being produced in many countries. Japan and UK are leading countries. There is a large cluster in Venice, which I personally visited. Attachments given are brief notes first on the production and second on standard machines. Let us encourage it...let us create ecofriendly world while meeting our need. Let us ensure safe planet.

Views: 252

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Shri Gosh,

At last, someone talking paper! It is true that hand made paper is an alternative product which commands a niche market. However,

1.  As of date, in India, NO TREE is allowed to be felled for fiber extraction. As per the prevalent forest policy, the paper industry - or for that matter any person legally can not lumber the jungles.  The wood that is being used in the country is risen in plantations and the pulp is imported as per need.

2.  Bamboo is the best bet for paper production. Enough bamboo is available in the north east. Problem is there is no way that can be extracted and got to mill sites.

3. Most mills use recovered paper as source of fiber ( about 400 odd mills out of about 700). We collect only about 20% of post consumer paper for reuse in the paper making process. The rest is lost to competitive uses - fruit packing, food wrappings, disposable plates -you name it. And yes, for  burning as well - in the country side.

4.  We use agri wastes for paper making as well -straws, bagasse you name it, we use it. 

5. Hand made is good. But try running that paper even on a medium speed printing machine. 

6. try making a - let is say a 1ton roll of hand made paper- its impossible. How does one run it on the offset press?

7. Now the most important part - define hand made paper. In India, use any thing more than a CMV and it becomes machine made paper - an excise item. Not so in some of the countries particularly the land of the dragon. Result - our hand made sector is left high and dry on productivity issues.

8.  Cost.  hand made sheet costs Rs- 2-5 for manufacture. These are colored / not white. An exercise book of hand made paper costs Rs. 25-40. The corresponding machine made paper copy costs Rs 10. And it will have more pages and will be lighter in weight.

I could go on and on. The paper industry in India operates under some very unique and different environment. Thankfully, thes issues are being addressed by the Govt. However, hand made paper, though they carry potential for tremendous value addition when turned to products can never be a replacement for machine made paper.

Than honour goes to the tablet!

Dear Dr. Singh,

I will reply your ever point.

1...No need of felling tree. Cellulose we waste every day be in agriculture or else where may be enough to meet the need. There are fast growing shrubs which may be grown in addition.

2...We must not use bamboo. It must be reserved for artisans for utility items and crafts. Paper made from bamboo causes pollution such as lignin, difficult to process.

3...We mus discourage large mill. Reuse or repulping of paper can e done with hydropulper with low investment and large employment growth. 

4...Agri waste is good option. One of the largest sources such as linseed plant etc., are burnt as fuel.

5...Handmade paper can ensure varieties of paper and can be used in printing in varieties speed.

6...Role is impossible. I do not know who they are being used but offset presses do use Handmade paper.

7...Handmade paper today is basically hand lifted paper with pulp made by power. There is exemption from excise duty.

8.....There are lighter Handmade paper even tissue paper but need skill. In Junner in Maharashtra it is produced. Yes Handmade paper is costlier than mill but is compensated with fiscal concession.

Handmade paper is competitive if planned properly. Medium scale paper mills are wiped out totally. We are now left with large mills and tiny Handmade paper sector both running well. There are good clusters running well.

I could go on and on.

Dear sir,

On the above discussion i would like to share my experiences.

For a fact India produces about 14.3 million ton paper every year.out of which only 26 % is recovered,this leaves us dependent on imports.so there is need of boosting the recovery.

There is lot can be done with the waste paper,for example,in my srm university, Chennai,we started paper conservation drive(GREEN WARS)(https://www.facebook.com/groups/GREENWARS/) a year ago.we collected the paper and made products out of it,such as recycled(hand made) paper certificates and stationary.around 10 ton of paper is wasted in my university per month.GREEN WARS aims to be self sustainable student go green non profit organisation.sir we would like to hear from you on the above discussion.

REGARDS

GREEN WARS

I would suggest if you can personally visit a Handmade Paper unit to understand. If you are around Chennai please visit Puducherry and understand. Just an example...if we can use up tickets collected from Madras Central Railway station or waste cloth of Sirpur we can save forests of entire country.

Dear sir,

Thank you for you concern.i have visited few small scale hand made paper industries,but problem is the quality and the price.the hand made paper is not good for writing and is priced high,this is the hurdle we always face.

It is possible to ensure quality and control price with choice of right raw material and process. It can achieve very high standard of quality. Please visit right unit. I suggested Puducherry for that reason. You may visit Sangener near Jaipur, Rajasthan if possible to see not only number of export oriented unit but also training and reasearch center established with help of UNDP.

Dear sir,

thank you for the information,will make note of it.

regards

green wars

Please remain in touch...I am with you

sure sir

go green

Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Paryavaran.com -online webportal to network and do business and philanthropy with Indian Environment Organizations and Professionals

Notes

Network of Indian Environment Professionals LLC

Created by Chandra Kishore Feb 5, 2010 at 3:22pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Jan 20, 2020.

Notes Home

Created by Chandra Kishore Oct 5, 2009 at 3:19pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Apr 29, 2011.

© 2024   Created by Chandra Kishore.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service