Indian Environment Network

Paryavaran.com-Gateway to Indian Environment Market

Dear Members,

Seeking your valuable suggestion in calculation of cost benefit analysis for the Forest land diversion case in hilly terrian which is mandatory for above 5 MW hydro projects under FCA 1980.

See the FCA req. on CBA from given link.

http://www.envlaws.org/FCA/spgc.html

Regards
Ratnakar

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Ratnakar Ji,

Cost Benefit Analysis for Forest Land Diversion is Ratio of Environment & Social Cost/Project Cost, this shall be less than One.

The project cost is calculated by the Project Proponent which is the financial cost.

The parameters for Environment cost are as follows

(A)   ITEM-1: Evaluations of loss Timber Fuel Minor Forests Produce Mandays Expectation or Potential Value of Soil for Forest in Revenue Land

(B) ITEM-2 Loss Value of Fodder (Grass)

(C) ITEM-3 Cost of Human Re-Settlement

(D) ITEM-4 Loss of Public Facilities and Administrative Infrastructure

(E) ITEM-5 Valuation of Environmental Losses

(F) ITEM-6 Suffering to Oustees

These Losses when summed up form The Environment and Social Cost

Rahul Singh

Advocate

All points covered by Rahulji...actual cost may vary...

Primarily i thanks for valuable suggestion but would like to correct you on the ratio, this CBA ratio shall be more than 1 if you calculate this less than 1, Forest land diversion would be question mark & not justifiable.In your answer you have quoted parameters for evaluation of loss of forest ie. Annexure -VI (b) only,What about evaluation of benefit not withstanding loss of forest as per Annexure -VI (c) under  FCA 1980 & FCR 2003.

Secondly what are thumb rules or standard practices to calculate these benefits.

Regards

Ratnakar

Dear Ratnakar,

Ecoservice value of Forest has been estimated at Rs5 lakhs/hector/year by Costanza et al especially for Western Ghat forests.(Nature/vol 387/1997 - copy easily available on net, I have shared the same with the readers)

In a recent such estimate Dr T V Ramachandra and his group from IISC, Bangalore has  forests in Gundia (South East of Western Ghats where a 700 MW Hydro Electric Project was proposed) pegged the Ecoservice value as Rs 195 Billion/year with food and water security. (http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/water/paper/TR122/evaluation_...).

I wish this info is brought to t he notice of MoEF as well as Planning commission.

Ashok

Attachments:

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your precious suggestion.

Ratnakar

Dr. Ashok Kundapur said:

Dear Ratnakar,

Ecoservice value of Forest has been estimairted at Rs5 lakhs/hector/year by Costanza et al especially for Western Ghat forests.(Nature/vol 387/1997 - copy easily available on net, I have shared the same with the readers)

In a recent such estimate Dr T V Ramachandra and his group from IISC, Bangalore has  forests in Gundia (South East of Western Ghats where a 700 MW Hydro Electric Project was proposed) pegged the Ecoservice value as Rs 195 Billion/year with food and water security. (http://wgbis.ces.iisc.ernet.in/energy/water/paper/TR122/evaluation_...).

I wish this info is brought to t he notice of MoEF as well as Planning commission.

Ashok

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Paryavaran.com -online webportal to network and do business and philanthropy with Indian Environment Organizations and Professionals

Notes

Network of Indian Environment Professionals LLC

Created by Chandra Kishore Feb 5, 2010 at 3:22pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Jan 20, 2020.

Notes Home

Created by Chandra Kishore Oct 5, 2009 at 3:19pm. Last updated by Chandra Kishore Apr 29, 2011.

© 2024   Created by Chandra Kishore.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service